Friday, May 05, 2006

May 3, 2006

Perceived Value

You know, if I were "established" as a Fine Art photographer, I could probably get by with a lot less interesting photos. I would not have to be technically correct, and people would still pay thousands just to have one of my prints. I think a lot of times we tend to *assign* value based on what we *think* something is worth. If a "master" produces a piece of trash, invariably, there will be some loop that sings its creative genius. Kinda like the story of the King and the new clothes, that weren't really clothes at all, but a scam. BUT, the king believed there were clothes, because he didn't want to look stupid. Yea.

This shot . ..



In reality, it is a boring picture of a soap dispenser on the wall. BUT, let's pretend for a moment that I am not some redneckish hack from the mountains of Western North Carolina. Let's suppose I am the premier fine art photographer with THE gallery in downtown NY. (I'm not naming any names, or even thinking of anyone in particular. One, because I don't know any names. And two, I don't want to make it seem like I am criticizing someone's work which may truly be genius). Now, it is more than a soap dispenser, it is a charged political statement about the working conditions of those in low subserviant jobs that can't get ahead no matter what they do.

Add to it a different crop . . .



Now, for the smalltown hack, this is a poorly composed, bad bw image of a soap dispenser. BUT, for the already arriven (is that even a word?) photographer, the unusual crop adds to the tension of the shot, and helps to deliver an even more pointed message, and speaks to the poetic and metaphysical genius of the photographer.

Okay, if you are still reading, you are either confused, mad, or amused. I hope the latter. This is truly tongue in cheek. Art is probably one of the most subjective "things" there is and beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder. I have seen "works of art" that made me go "huh?" and I have seen tremendous beauty in the simple shots that get looked over. I also recognize that most widely acclaimed photographers are in that position for a reason, and I would not want to belittle their product in any form or fashion. But I did think it was food for thought.

The real story behind my genius? I was testing my flash before I did a reshoot of a cap and gown picture that went kaput a few days before.:) And it was a picture. And it was made on May 3rd. And it is not paperclips. :)

No comments: