Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Overcoming Addiction

Ever had to overcome an addiction?

Ever had to do it when you were 5?

My daughter, the precious Princess is on day 2 without her pacifier. This is the same princess that just turned 5; it is time.

I initially started the "pacie de-tox" when she was about 18 months old -- around the same time started potty training.

Big girls don't use pacies.

Go potty like a big girl.

Her little slightly less than two year old brain then drew the logical conclusion, "If I am big, I will use the potty and I won't have my pacie."

Toilet training shut down. Fast. Nothing but diapers for this little gal.

Sooooo, to get out of diapers, we had to tell her she could keep pacie a bit longer. At the time, I chose the arbitrary age of 5 figuring she would give it up on her own by then. hahahahahahaha.

Her birthday was Monday. Tuesday morning she went to look for it and it was gone.

Her little face. :( Just thinking about it makes me get teary-eyed.

As a parent, I am constantly amazed at how their joy makes me joyful and how their pain makes me hurt. Physically, deep in my gut, hurt.

So, today is day 2 of OUR pacie addiction being broken. The hardest thing I have ever had to do for the Princess was say, "No, baby, the pacie is gone."

I was asked when we were taking bear blankies. My answer? NEVAH. She can keep bear blankies until she is grown with grandchildren for all I care.