Thursday, December 02, 2010

Flashback

Tonight, I was listening to Christmas music on Pandora, just as I am apt to do at any time, not just in December.

I don't know what song it was, but it reminded me of a Christmas program that I was in when I was in 6th grade.

It was a group simply called "Special Music" meaning that we had to audition and if chosen we got pulled out of the regular class every other week to go have an extra music class with the music teacher -- Katie Hoyle.

Teaching elementary school is a special calling; being an itinerant music teacher just means you have a special level of insanity (I know; I've been there.) However, Ms. Hoyle took insanity to a whole new level.

I do not know her reasons why, but she decided that year, our class would present a "Madrigal Feast."

and we did.

Few memories from childhood stick with me, but if I close my eyes, and concentrate, I can still smell the cafeteria, see the costumes, hear the instruments, and sing the music. Twenty-eight years later I still remember some of the songs.

I remember learning later, perhaps from her, perhaps from my uncle who was a teacher at the same school, that many of her colleagues told her it couldn't be done -- that level of music and performance simply was not possible by 10, 11, and 12 year olds. (This opinion was "confirmed" some years later when having a discussion with fellow music majors at college).

But she presevered, and we did it.

We weren't supposed to be able to do it, but we did.

Looking back, I see that that lesson had a much deeper, longer lasting impression on me than I imagined.

There were instances in Jr. High the next years, and later in High School, that told me, "You can't do that." But, I did.

And it stayed with me.

Ever been told that a student can't read, he is a behavior problem, and that there is no way he will ever be able to do anything in your music class, so why bother?

I have.

He sang the solo beautifully.

Ever been told that the "trainable mentally handicapped" student in your math class really didn't need to be that involved with other students because he didn't have the social skills necessary to "fit in?"

I have.

He made friends that year.

Ever sat across from a student who is so severely "learning disabled" in math that you have been told to do the best you can, but he probably won't graduate because he can't pass the state competency test?

I have.

He passed, and holds a NC Diploma.

Ever have a student look at you and tell you they will never, ever "get this stuff," and graduate with their GED or Adult High School diploma?

I have (many times).

They did (many times).

I don't say that to brag on myself or my teaching skills, which are mediocre, at best. It wasn't me that did it. In every instance, the student was the one who did it.

But, I believed in them.

Ms. Hoyle believed in us and we did what we weren't supposed to be able to do.

Whatever you do in life, but especially if you are a teacher, believe.

Even if they "can't" do it. Believe they can.

Ms. Hoyle, I have no idea where you are now, or what you are doing, but, thank you.

Thank you for believing we could.

No comments: