Friday, October 31, 2008

October 31



We don't "do" Halloween, so I don't have any of those kind of shots, but it was a busy, busy, busy day.

Our morning was sort of typical.

Then, we went on a field trip with some other homeschoolers to the Balsam Mountain Preserve.


Then, a wedding.

Then, the reception.

Then, home.

I am whupped.

But, I learned a lot today. I like days when I learn alot. Maybe it is the teacher in me, but it always feels refreshing and energizing when I see/do/hear something I've never seen/done/heard before.

Lessons I learned:

1. When a naturalist/biologist says, "Let's go for a nature walk," it will definitely have a big downhill walk. To return, you must be ready for a big uphill walk.

2. Ferrets, when dropped from low heights (is that an oxymoron?), bounce.

3. Owls spitting out pellets and cats coughing up hairballs look very similar.


4. Halloween is not a good time to go Wal-Mart.

5. Each and every wedding is different.

6. Sleepy 3 years olds are not the best photography assistants available.


7. Never try to use new equipment in a high stress situation.

8. Sharing large quantities of candy is not natural for a 6 year old.

6 comments:

Bernard Shuford said...

Of course, #7 is my fault, but it's a good deal better than using old equipment that is broken. :)

143

Karma Shuford said...

no kidding. at least your flash fired. :(

1432

M. Steve Heartsill said...

The shots shown are great...you two are so talented...

Karma Shuford said...

why, thank you steve. :) thanks for dropping by

M. Steve Heartsill said...

I especially loved the photo of the hawk...I love hawks...they are such majestic creatures...so, what's the story of the hawk here?

Karma Shuford said...

The Hawk's name is Friday. I can't remember if s/he was born in captivity or rescued -- I'm thinking rescued when s/he was very, very young because s/he is very comfortable around people (as comfortable as a hawk will be).

Beyond that, I don't know. . .

There was also a bald eagle there named Spirit. She had been born in captivity, and upon her release, kept going to find people to be near. For her safety (and people), they brought her back into captivity. She was awesome. Unfortunately, my picture of her was not. hahahahahahahahahahah