Thursday, January 01, 2009

2009 Resolutions

Not that I'm any good at keeping resolutions, but my internal wiring just seems to compel me to do it. :) I'm also the type that will not start a new project on any day except Monday, unless forced to, and I eat M&Ms after sorted by color.

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law. Galatians 5:22 - 23


1. LOVE I want to be more loving. To my husband and my kids, to my extended family, and I want to learn to truly love those that I disagree with, or that "hate" me.

2. JOY Yes, I want to have joy, but I also want to spread joy. I want to be an encouragement to those around me.

3. PEACE If I had to describe my existence in 2008 with one word, it would be contentious. It seemed every time I turned around I was in a minor disagreement, or an all out argument with someone -- usually someone I couldn't see or didn't even know, but also with people that I care greatly about. While I'm all for sharing my opinion and open discussions on topics, I MUST learn to control my temper and say things in such a way that respects those I disagree with. I do NOT need to argue, fight and scratch. Also, if I can bring peace, I want to do that. If I can discuss peaceably, or I can't bring the peace, I just need to stay away.

4. LONGSUFFERING. I have a 6 year old and a 3 year old (very nearly 7 and 4) that I homeschool. 'nuf said.

5. KINDNESS I want to be kinder to people whether in word or deed, and without provocation. So many times I think of something I would like to do for someone and talk myself out of it because I convince myself that they would not be interested. How warped is that?

6. GOODNESS This is a broad one. For me, it reminds me of my "convicting sense of humor." I find something outrageously funny, and God convicts me that it isn't something I should be laughing at. :/ I must do better. I do believe God has a sense of humor, but I don't think He would laugh at some of the things I laugh at.

7. FAITHFULNESS Jesus has done so much in my life. If it were not for Him, I am fairly certain there would be no Karma today. Am I faithful to what He has called me to do? I want to read the Bible more (I'm currently on a "read in a year" plan), pray more -- deliberate prayers, not out of habit, and do my job(s) at church with joy and lose the grumbling (I grumble a lot). Christ was tortured and died for my sins -- my service to Him should be out of love and thankfulness, not out of obligation or duty.

8. GENTLENESS I am about as gentle as an elephant. If I were a man, I'd probably hang out in a recliner, unshaven and 50 pounds overweight, in a wife beater t-shirt yelling at my wife to bring me a pabst blue ribbon, belching, scratching myself and being rude and crude to those around me. Just kidding. Well, at least on the PBR part. I've resigned myself to the fact that I'll never be a girly-girl, but it is high time to start being a bit more gentle and meek in my dealing with those around me -- especially those in authority over me.

9. SELF-CONTROL You know what? Paul could have left this one off. Really. I guess this is where my resolution to lose 75 pounds would be. And to spend more time offline. And to not procrastinate as much as I do. And to hold my tongue when I really have a sharp retort. And to keep the school schedule as much as is possible. And any number of other things, but you get the idea.

Happy New Year and may you have a blessed 2009!

3 comments:

M. Steve Heartsill said...

You will be prayed for as you begin living out these resolutions.

I only made one resolution this year--not to make resolutions...

So, since I won't have to be praying for me and my resolutions, I'll just spend that time praying for you and yours!

Karma Shuford said...

Hope you can keep yours and I'll take whatever prayers I can get! :)

Bill (cycleguy) said...

You had to go and get personal didn't you? Good thoughts K. I will pray for you in your "resolutions" to live the fruit of the Spirit.