Tuesday, March 14, 2006

March 14, 2006


Capturing the Magic Moment

If you see this somewhere else, just move on and pretend you didn't. (IE -- don't vote on it, unless you can be 100% objective about it).

My son, reaching for a lightbulb. Set the camera to bulb mode. Cut the lights off. Son posed, camera fired, manually fired a flash, "painted" the lightbulb to make it brighter, stopped exposure.

Post processing -- Brightness/Contrast adjusted. Converted to greyscale. Colorized it to warm it up a bit. Resized, submitted.

I figure the viewers that "get it" will like it, those that don't won't. :) The point -- As a teacher, there are moments when I can almost see the lightbulb come on. It is indeed almost a magical moment. After struggling to teach a concept to a child that just isn't getting it, then all of a sudden they have the "A-HA" moment, I am almost in tears. It doesn't happen to me often (perhaps because of the quality of my teaching????), but when it does, I wish I could capture it on "film" (or memory card) because it is awesome.

The model is 4 yo travis from Canton. He works for jellybeans. He gets one jellybean for each exposure, then when he gets tired, I double his pay. He got 9 tonight. ;)

Wish this had been advanced editing, and I could have gotten rid of the little light trail on the lightbulb.

No comments: