Tuesday, February 28, 2006

February 28, 2006


The cross at Lake Junaluska, NC

This picture tells alot about me on a couple of different levels.

I am a Christian, so the cross has obvious implications for me.

Also, though, I grew up about a mile from Lake Junaluska. I spent many a summer day there, riding my bike, swimming, and just hanging out. Later, I worked at the lake in a bookstore. This particular spot looks out over the lake and has a small amphitheater under the cross. Many, many, many times I have gone there just to sit and reflect on my life. I've worked through many a crisis at that point. Maybe it is being a Christian and sitting "under" the cross that helped; I don't know. I don't get there much anymore, even though I am not far from it, I just don't seem to have time.

The mountain in the background is Eagle's Nest. There are five mountain peaks around the lake, and if I were looking at a map, I could possibly remember the other four, but not right now. All five were sacred to the Cherokee Indians who roamed this area, and whose reservation is just over that peak.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just found your blog, I love it!

I also love to dabble with photos, yours are amazing.

I will be back!

Anonymous said...

Really nice shot here. I think the patterns (are they bolts?) on the cross really add a lot to the shot as well.