Thursday, December 11, 2008

December 10, 1993

Nope, the title is not a typo.

That was one of the best days of my life. 15 years ago.

I was a senior at Western Carolina University -- finishing up my classwork for a B.S.ed in Music Education, and preparing for my student teaching.

I wasn't dating anyone, having broken up with a pathological liar type a few months before.

It was winter and threatening snow.

It was a Friday night.

I saw Mrs. Doubtfire and ate at Shoney's at Exit 44 afterwards. I had a turkey club croissant with fries, and the date, who would later be my husband, had a chopped steak.

I remember being impressed that he didn't eat a hamburger. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

I would like to point out that we had actually met almost 6 months earlier at a funeral. I was standing at the back of the church, and he was singing with his mom and two uncles.

Love at first sight? I'm honestly not sure, but there was definitely a "Hmmmm, there is some potential" at first sight. My immediate next thought was "but he is only 14 or 15, maybe 16, so bug off." (He was around 25 at the time). Long story short, his aunt introduced us, and I didn't hear from him until Fall.

He called a couple of times, we talked, and then I didn't hear from him for several days.

My confident, self-assured person was cool with that. (ha) No problem. (ha) I can handle it. (ha)

Not.

I remember seeing his aunt (the one that introduced us), at a restaurant at this time and mentioning that I hadn't heard from him.

He called shortly thereafter, and asked me out.

So, one breakup, a long engagement, a wedding, several pounds, two children, and an open heart surgery later -- we are happily married.

It's been a wonderful 15 years.

3 comments:

Bernard Shuford said...

And we still buy that aunt Christmas presents out of pure unadulterated gratitude.

:)

Happy days!

143

"mudgurc"?????

M. Steve Heartsill said...

What a great aunt you have! Introducing you to the love of your life!

Happy anniversary...a couple of days late...but, a happy one, nonetheless!

Bill (cycleguy) said...

Sorry I am late K. happy anniversary. Funny that you and B use the 143 moniker. My bride and I have used that since we started dating over 37 years ago only we use 1-4-3. congrats.