Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Things that Make You Go, "Hmmmmm"

There is a particular passage that I have read in the Bible several times. I've heard sermons about it, and it even created a *little* firestorm for the Southern Baptist a few years ago.

From Ephesians 5:
22 Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord. 23 For the husband is head of the wife, as also Christ is head of the church; and He is the Savior of the body. 24 Therefore, just as the church is subject to Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in everything.

Three little verses that make every woman squirm. And not in a good way. I confess, I've had small issues with submission before. (Bernard says, "SMALL?") I mean, heck, it is hard to yield to a husband when you so want to do it your way. Any amens from the sisters?

However, what often happens is that women hear these three verses, get indignant and tune everything else out. Men, on the other hand, hear these three verses and start thinking of everything their wives need to do. I even know of some husbands who use this verse to mentally and emotionally abuse their wives, which makes me want to throw up, but that is another blog post.

As with many things in the Bible, you gotta keep reading. If Dora, from "Finding Nemo" was with you, she may say, "Just keep reading, just keep reading, Just keep reading, reading, reading." Yea, just keep reading. Keep your ears open. Forget the indignation and the gloating. Look what is next.

25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for her, 26 that He might sanctify and cleanse her with the washing of water by the word, 27 that He might present her to Himself a glorious church, not having spot or wrinkle or any such thing, but that she should be holy and without blemish. 28 So husbands ought to love their own wives as their own bodies; he who loves his wife loves himself. 29 For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as the Lord does the church. 30 For we are members of His body,[d] of His flesh and of His bones. 31 “For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh.”[e] 32 This is a great mystery, but I speak concerning Christ and the church. 33 Nevertheless let each one of you in particular so love his own wife as himself, and let the wife see that she respects her husband.

Husbands get EIGHT verses to tell them how to treat their wives. Wives are given three verses -- a "command" and how to do it in three easy to remember verses.

Husbands, on the other hand, are issue a "command," that appears simple -- "Love your wife." And, then, they are given 8 verses on how to do it. (and wives have a little reminder at the end).

Now, I know how hard it is for me to do "the submission thing" at times. But, seriously, in the context of the rest of the passage, my job is a heck of a lot easier than Bernard's.

AND, if Bernard is doing his job correctly, submission actually becomes easier! For that matter, if any man is following verses 25 - 33, their wives will have a much easier time with verses 22 - 24.

2 comments:

Bernard Shuford said...

Let's see. I'm pretty sure there's absolutely NOTHING I can say here.

:)

M. Steve Heartsill said...

Smart man Bernard...smart man!

Karma...tough verses, I agree. However, I think your accessment is correct--it is difficult for the husband to follow those HUGE words from Christ. Sure makes me stop and think everyday about how I treat my wife and love her...I've got very big shoes to fill--love her as Christ loves the church...He died for the church after all!