Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The War on ?????

The Rambling Prophet posts THIS about the "war" on Christmas.

Yes, I have "war" in quotation marks. This would indicate that I do not think such a war exists, and it is time to stop fighting it. Why? Because there are other, bigger fish to fry.

I read Tony's post moments after reading some of the following quotes --

I stated that when I was a child, I sinned. But my sins were absolved by a christian church, just as yours were. When I grew older, I developed my own moral code that I have lived by ever since. And, amazingly, its a pretty easy code to live by.



You seem to assume that maybe one of the religions have it right. What if god IS gay? Didn't god make man in his own image and woman for that matter? Maybe just you and (name removed) will be screwed?


Further, sin has a specific religious context. It's not equivalent to right and wrong, but merely something that's prohibited by a god. For example, killing is considered a sin, but not necessarily wrong because God supposedly demands stoning and other untimely deaths for certain crimes. Now, if you think that particular god is complete fiction, then whatever he/she/it supposedly prohibited is a moot point. So if Athena declared that eating broccoli is a sin, would you consider yourself a sinner for that? Probably not. You'd have a chuckle and a second helping because Athena is fiction and never existed to make such a rule. The same applies to Horus, Odin, Vishnu and 1,000 other gods that you believe to be myths. Most of the world doesn't believe your god existed either, and so those associated sins are simply not applicable. We can still believe in right and wrong... just not because your god said so.



Yes. I am without sin. Just like I am without unicorns and heffalumps. There is a difference between 'sin' and following a moral code.



The whole point of life is to grow and learn. In the last 10 years, I can honestly say that there is nothing I have done that I would question with regard to your idea of sin.


I am not a sinner.

There is no sin in my philosophy, only unfortunate or immoral acts. No sin.



So, while the two ladies referenced in Tony's blog continue to raise thousands of dollars to convince people to leave Christ in Christmas, I'll continue to interact with the "sayers" of the above and convince them by my life and actions that Christ even exists.

If you are a Christian and you read this, consider for a moment that it is not against flesh and blood that we fight. If you show someone who is a non-Christian any less respect or favoritism than you would a fellow believer, you are, imo, sinning. Christ commands us to love all.

We have got to drop this US vs. THEM mentality.

IT IS NOT US AGAINST THEM.

IT IS US AGAINST SATAN AND HIS LIES.

Fighting the atheist over whether to say "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays" would be akin to beating up a Jewish person because he was in a concentration camp. You would be fighting the wrong "enemy." You would be fighting the "enemy" (that's not really the enemy) that you are trying to reach.

Christ can never be removed from Christmas, just as God can never be kicked out of the country. Christ doesn't live in Christmas. God doesn't live in America. He is to live in our hearts, and when we celebrate the birth of Christ by living as Christ wants us to live, Christmas will be celebrated 365 days a year.

And we won't need a "campaign" to convince us to do otherwise.

No comments: