Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Election Day




Today is the NC primary. Normally by now, the candidates are decided and our votes are just a formality. This election, though, Clinton and Obama are battling for the NC vote. Every Clinton but the dog has made an appearance in Asheville in the past few weeks. ..

I know I am registered. But, I don't know as what. When I first registered, it was as a democrat, because most of the primaries in Haywood County are democratic primaries, or something like that. Then, I changed it to Independent. Then Republican. Or maybe those latter two were switched.

My political views are kinda the same. I've generally put myself pretty far right, politically. However, as I investigate the "topics" more, I'm probably pretty much somewhere in the middle -- one of those evil "moderates" I guess.

Something I am becoming curious about, though, is why certain issues become Christian vs. non-Christian instead of R/D or conservative vs. liberal. And why must a Christian be conservative to be a "good Christian?"

I've talked to Christians in the past few weeks who honestly feel if you vote for ANY candidate other than a Republican one, you must be in a backslidden condition. That is, IF you are truly a Christian.

Do we not have a responsibility to actually study the issues and know what they are? Should we not make an informed vote based on what is said, promised, etc?

Yes, there are some issues that have become moral decisions/directives. Abortion comes to mind. On this one issue, I am probably as far right as any one can be. On all the others though, I've dispersed myself throughout the spectrum. Some are actually more on the left than right.

The good thing is that it helps me see the "good" in a lot of different candidates.

The bad thing is that NONE of them "fit" me.

No comments: