Friday, May 30, 2008

When the Paradigm Shifts

If I had taken This Quiz in college, my answers/profile would look like this:






What's your theological worldview?
created with QuizFarm.com
You scored as Fundamentalist

You are a fundamentalist. You take the Bible as the foundation of your faith and read it very literally, and it shapes your worldview. Non-fundamentalist Christians have watered-down the Gospel in your view, and academic study of the Bible stops us from 'taking God at his word.' Science is opposed to faith, as it contradicts basic biblical truths.


Fundamentalist


100%

Reformed Evangelical


82%

Evangelical Holiness/Wesleyan


75%

Charismatic/Pentecostal


54%

Neo orthodox


43%

Emergent/Postmodern


29%

Classical Liberal


21%

Modern Liberal


18%

Roman Catholic


0%




This held true, to a large extent until about 2 years ago.

Now, however, I am more like this:






What's your theological worldview?
created with QuizFarm.com
You scored as Emergent/Postmodern

You are Emergent/Postmodern in your theology. You feel alienated from older forms of church, you don't think they connect to modern culture very well. No one knows the whole truth about God, and we have much to learn from each other, and so learning takes place in dialogue. Evangelism should take place in relationships rather than through crusades and altar-calls. People are interested in spirituality and want to ask questions, so the church should help them to do this.


Emergent/Postmodern


82%

Evangelical Holiness/Wesleyan


64%

Reformed Evangelical


57%

Classical Liberal


57%

Fundamentalist


43%

Charismatic/Pentecostal


43%

Neo orthodox


36%

Modern Liberal


32%

Roman Catholic


0%




The bulk of the "shift," at least the part I noticed, has happened in just the past few weeks -- it has been that fast.

I guess this kinda bothers me because I was so certain that I was right in college (and even a bit obnoxious about it). So, now I ask, "Was I right then, or am I right, NOW?" Obviously, I think I'm right now, or I would go "back" to believing like I did then.

Also, I know what "fundamentalists" think about "post-modernists" (and it ain't pretty. I know; I "were" one), and though it probably shouldn't, it does bother me. I love Jesus. I am learning to love the people around me, and those I deal with everyday. I want them to see Jesus for what He IS, and I get annoyed/bothered/agitated/aggravated when someone who I used to be like tells me I have "sold out," "watered the message down," and "cheapened the Gospel," even though I can see more results and stronger relationships now.

And finally, it is rather "uncomfortable," because the church I attend (that I do love dearly), and am considered a "leader" in would be more fundamental, as are almost all of the churches in my area.

So, yes, it is "scary" to me when I can actually *see* the paradigm shifting

No comments: