Saturday, May 31, 2008

Family Reunions

Today was the family reunion for my dad's dad's (yes that is two dad's there, on purpose) side of the family.

My grandfather left Cocke County, TN when he was 14 years old and walked up the Pigeon River to Maggie Valley where he was hoping to find work. Long story short (partly for lack of space, and partly because I don't know the whole story), he ended up marrying my grandmother, having my dad and his brothers and sister, then moving back to TN about 5 years before his death (almost 40 years ago).

I had never met most of these people until the "first" reunion about 10 or 11 years ago. It is kinda weird to look at someone and think, "We are related, closely (even for mountain folk), and I have no idea about anything about you."

Not that it is any better now. :(

My grandmother went to the first one (maybe two) and it was really sweet how they all "welcomed" her. She had not seen many of them since the "divorce," (I never really found out if they actually divorced or not), or had seen them only very, very rarely. She died in 1999, just before reunion would be held.

It was on May 30th, that year. I remember because Daddy had asked specifically that we (the kids and family) go, and I went because he asked (and truth be told, that was the ONLY reason).

Two days later, he had a massive heart attack and went into a chronic-vegetative/semi-comatose state.

He died 2 and a 1/2 years later.

The reunion was the last thing I did with my daddy.

I've been a couple of times, but I try to avoid it.

I went today because my older cousin Dale, who has been battling cancer, told my brother he really wanted us there.

I can't say that I particularly enjoyed it -- this year or any other, but they are my family, and despite our differences (and boy, there are some -- maybe I should blog about some of my aunts and uncles!), I do love them, and they are part of the heritage that makes me, me.

So, to all the Tennessee (and NC) Valentines -- heres a SHOUT OUT to you!




(Guess which one is me!)

No comments: