Saturday, May 03, 2008

More From Yesterday

I want to clarify something I wrote yesterday, simply because it *could* be misconstrued.

At the end of my post, I ask several questions beginning with, "How do we reach them. . . ."

Upon reflection, I realize that it sounds like my one and only goal is to "convert them to Christ."

Many Christians would say, "Yes, sister, that is exactly what our goal is."


Ummmmmm, no.

My goal is not to "convert" them. Why? Because I can't. You see, that is the Holy Spirit's job. If my goal is to have "converts" then to measure that goal, I have to keep track and count. Ever been a notch on someone's belt? It ain't a lotta fun. :(

This approach is kinda like Preparation H on a toothbrush. The toothbrush is useful. The P-H is useful (ask any pregnant or recently delivered mom). Together, though, well, it is a nasty combination. When we combine our true purpose (ministering to people so they can be introduced with Jesus) with a faulty method (seeking only to "save them"), it is like combining a toothbrush (the purpose) with Preparation H (faulty method).



And, what if they don't accept Christ. That happens sometimes, you know. Do I just drop them and move no to my next "project?" That used to be my MO. I give you the gospel, you reject, I wash my hands of you and move on.

Next.

So, when I speak of "reaching them," I am talking about truly reaching them. Forming a relationship over time. Loving them. Helping them through the hard spots. Crying with them. Laughing with them. Rejoicing with them.

Sorry, folks, but that can't happen on a Thursday night visitation or standing in the parking lot at Wal-Mart handing out tracts. Yea, some people get saved that way. But, you know what? Most of them that receive the tracts or get visited (which is usually just an offensive way to invite them to church, because that is usually the goal) feel like a notch in my belt.

But, my detractors would argue (if any of them actually read this), they aren't just going to come to church. And my detractors are correct. Do not think that I am one of those "they-know-where-we-are-if-they-want-us-they-will-come-to-us" people. No, we definitely have to go to them.

Where they are.

You know. Truly minister to them. Find out what their needs are and meet them. Make sure your method and purpose match. It works out so much better.


And your breath will smell so much nicer!!!!!


(Confession -- the analogy was forced. I just wanted to use the p-H shot today!!! But, it fit nicely, I think.

No comments: