Friday, May 16, 2008

When Too Far is Too Far

As Christians we are called to be salt and light to the world. We are also commanded to go into the world and teach, and to love our neighbor as ourselves.

It is a tough job under the best of circumstances. Let's face it, there are a lot of people that really don't care about "the message," the "good news," or my testimony. In all honesty, there are a lot of people out there than don't even believe God exists, so why should they give a rat's hair what I say, or more importantly, what He says.

So, when do we "preach" and when do we keep our mouth shut?

Perhaps it is an inherent character flaw, or perhaps it is the easy way out, but I tend to "scope" a new situation, get to know the person/people/group well, and then offer my faith story. Sometimes people ask for more, sometimes they say, "No thanks, not now." and sometimes they flat out reject me. BUT, in the end, I usually have a friend, I've earned their respect and when a trying time comes in their life, guess who they ask to pray for them. Now, my "rate of conversions" are very low. I witness a lot, but I don't see a lot of harvest. This bothers me some because for 30+ years, I been taught that the number is important -- and the proof of my "spirituality."

Now, let me introduce you to my friend "Jon" (not his name). He takes an entirely different approach. He enters a room, loudly proclaims that he is here in Jesus' name, he knows the right way, and he is there to tell you exactly where it is. When people respond that they don't want to know, he proceeds to barrage them with Bible verses that explain why they don't want to know. When people make fun of him and poke holes in his logic, he responds with trite, cliched answers. And then, he thanks them for persecuting him because that means he is doing what he is supposed to be doing. When people tell him they are in the room for something other than religious indoctrination, he responds that nothing they could be doing is as important as working for the Kingdom.

In a way, I admire Jon. He is bold. He is proud. He is not afraid to say what he thinks.

I guess I'm just not sure he is really effective.

If he continues his "ways," he will effectively be asked to leave the room. Then, all that is left is a rather sour (for many) reminder of his testimony. People will definitely remember him, but now he is not around for further "developments."

So, is it better for me to be a "polite witness" but potentially not make my stance completely known, or is it better for me to be bold and possibly rude, but everyone knows exactly what I think?

1 comment:

Bernard Shuford said...

You know what I think... :)