Wednesday, June 25, 2008

For You? For Me?

There is a local business that puts little sayings on their sign. More often than not, they are those little 7 or 8 word punny Christian sayings.

They don't *bother* me, but I did start to wonder about their purpose.

Seriously, how many people do you know that have a testimony that goes something like this --

Man, I was driving along one day, and I passes this church sign that said, "Heavenly Forecast -- Jesus Reigns Forever," and I got to thinking about forever. Then, I passed another that said, "Stop Drop and Roll does not work in Hell." That got me thinking about hell. Then, I passed a business sign that said, "What is missing in ch_ _ ch? UR." Then, another sign that said, "THREE STRIKES __ YOU'RE SAVED!" At that moment, I recognized my need for a Savior, so I pulled over and repented of my sins and accepted Christ.

OK, maybe it does happen, but I don't know anyone.

So, WHY do we keep posting these things for the world to read?

For the same reason I wore Christian T-shirts (and ONLY christian shirts) in college.

For the same reason many of us have a fish on our car.

For the same reason we wear Christian jewelry.

For the same reason there has to be a "As for me and my house" banner, sign, or picture in our living room.

For the same reason Christians advertise in a Christian only business guide.

For the same reason we equivocate handing out tracts to evangelism.

The reason is usually to "witness." But, who are we witnessing to? By doing all of these things, I am simply making the statement that I am a Christian, or that I claim to be a Christian.

Right now, as I type this, I have on a shirt I received when I did a triathlon (allows times for snickers to subside). Does wearing this shirt make me a triathlete? Ummmmmm, the answer is a resounding, NO.

In reality, by doing these things, I am asserting who I am, what side I am on, and quite typically, what some of my fundamental beliefs are.

Look at that last sentence.

I AM
I AM
MY Beliefs

There is a problem there. Isn't witnessing supposed to be letting people know that Jesus died for them/you? Isn't it supposed to be for letting those around me know that I love, care for, and respect them/you as Jesus does? Isn't witnessing supposed to be about them/you, not me?

Why, then, are all of these ways of "witnessing" dependent on ME and what I do?

How can I truly witness for Christ and share His love, His compassion, and His mercy with a world that does not want Him or think they need Him?

How can I decrease, so that HE can increase?

3 comments:

Tony said...

I think this is your most profound post to date. Great job, I look forward to reading much more of this caliber of writing.

Tony said...

OK. What are you doing??? I came here ten minutes ago and there was NOTHING posted except the title. So you rob me of a good joke once again.

Blugh.

But seriously these are good thoughts. Beth Eden actually had a good church sign up; it said, "If you didn't witness, you just did." Pretty profound. But it is our culture's propensity to communicate in sound bites, but contrary to the wisdom of the church sign, we do have a message and it deserves telling--frequently and in more than eight to ten syllables.

Karma Shuford said...

har har har.

I wondered how you read that and commented so fast.

blogger hiccuped and posted without me telling it to. . .