Sunday, June 08, 2008

With Responsibility Comes Temptation

Seriously. Not evil, going to do wrong, temptation, but the kind I am much more likely to succumb to -- the practical joke. Being the choir director, I am in a unique position to come up with some. Ever sang "I Shall Not be Moved" followed by "I'll Fly Away?" My church has. :) (Tonight we sang "How Long Has it Been" (&) "Till the Storm Passes By.")

Sometimes, in my fits of seriousness (I assure you, they are only temporary), I try to choose songs that compliment the pastor's sermons, if he shares what he is preaching on.

Currently, he is preaching through the ten commandments. There just simply are not a lot of songs to go with it though. Perhaps Bill Gaither or Casting Crowns needs to get busy and write a song about "THOU SHALL NOT COMMIT MURDER."

Today was adultery. Unlike the others, I had a huge array of songs the choir could have learned.

"Mama's in the Graveyard, Papa's in the Pen"
"Who's Bed Have your Boots Been Under?"
"The Thunder Rolls"
"Who's Cheating Who?"
"Before He Cheats"
"Its a Cheatin' Situation"
"Third Rate Romance"

And that's just some of the country songs.

I very seriously considered the first one. However, the pianist (who happens to be my husband), talked me out of it. Probably a good thing.

It would have definitely made the congregation remember today, though. :P

2 comments:

Tony said...

And all this time I thought B was uncultured swine. (Extra points if you get the movie reference.)

And remind me NOT to invite you to do special music at GBC.

Karma Shuford said...

ummm, didn't "Deliverance" have a reference to uncultured swine in it? Of course, I don't think that is the reference you were thinking of!

I can assure you, if we were to ever do special music at GB, we would be remembered for a long, long time. :)