Sunday, June 08, 2008

He Just LOOKS Like a Christian

Ummmm, exactly what does a Christian look like? How can the world tell us apart from, well, the world?

I know many people that would begin describing a mode of dress. Wear certain clothes, of certain lengths, with certain hair styles, and viola! you have a Christian.

End of post.

not.

I think it is deeper than this.

To see what a Christian looks like, I think it is helpful to look at what the world looks like, then realize that if I act differently, the world will see that I am different.

I need to look like Jesus would look if he were walking the streets in 2008.

3 comments:

Tony said...

Well, I did stop in a convenience store once and the clerk, an elderly black lady, said she knew I was a Christian when I walked in. How did she know? It could only have been the Spirit. I had never seen her before until that day. And she didn't mention dress but demeanor.

I agree with your sentiment. I don't want to look like the world, but I know so often I do. What was it Steven Curtis Chapman was saying about some kind of change???

Bernard Shuford said...

If I met a blind man, would he know I am a Christian?

Karma Shuford said...

People have told me they "knew" I was a Christian because of how I looked -- there was just something about my face/spirit.

However, that is quickly tempered when I remember a close friend that didn't reveal her daughter was transgendered for the first THREE YEARS we were friends because she knew "how I felt about things like that." Ouch. There was a lot of ministry potential there, and I screwed it up, bad.

That is one of those times that I physically looked like a Christian, but didn't look enough like Christ.