Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Big God

PreacherDude has posted something Interesting that should be addressed, I think.

IMO, there are a lot of things happening in the "war on Christianity," that are, if not completely imagined, a bit out of proportion. The Christmas example is just one.

We scream freedom of religion, and never stop to consider what that entails. To me, that means that I, as a Christian, have a right to worship and believe as I want. It also means, though, that my boss, a Buddhist, also has that right. It could mean the extreme Muslim (or Mormon, or SDA, or JW, or atheist, or Hindu, or spaghetti noodle worshipper) also has that right.

It means that as a teacher, I am a representative of the state. As such, I am still free to believe what I believe, but I am not free to indoctrinate/teach my students on said beliefs, or force them to participate.

I think that is a good thing.

First off, if I am sharing Christ with someone, I want it to be because the Holy Spirit is drawing them, and not because they are held captive in my classroom with no recourse of leaving, or feeling like they have to "appease my beliefs" to do well in the class.

Secondly, if I can't do it, neither can my Buddhist boss and neither can the Muslim (or any other group).

But, but, but, but. . .

No buts, my friend.

I think a lot of the posturing that goes on within issues like these are made from Christians who are afraid their Jesus wouldn't be able to survive if they don't have the security of being a majority. How little their God must be.

Remember the story of Elijah on the mountain with the prophets of Baal? That is probably my favorite story of all time. Elijah gave the Baal-worshippers first chance to show what Baal could do. They tried and tried and failed miserably.

Then, Elijah's chance came. Not only did he wait to go second, he stacked the odds against his God by wetting the altar.

*POOF* God still prevailed.

You know what? It is okay if we can't pray in schools (and I still contend that is a good thing), it is okay if the world wants to say Merry Xmas,* and the postal employees can't wish me a "Merry Christmas" and have to say "Happy Holidays," instead. Jesus is bigger and stronger than all of that.

Perhaps, just perhaps, if Christians were not so obnoxious is fighting for their "rights" (often to the detriment of other peoples rights), "society" wouldn't be so quick to try to remove anything remotely "Christian" from their life.

(*Xmas seriously does not bother me. "X" is the Greek letter Chi, as in the first "initial" of Christ. I do not use it, but I don't get my panties all in a wad when someone else does. It really does not mean they are going to hell. I promise.)

No comments: