Friday, June 13, 2008

Happy Birthday

Today is the birthday of one of my favoritest people in the world.


My dad, older sister and I were horseback riding/camping in Harmon Den (out in the middle of nowhere). I woke up on the morning of June 12th, 1980 and Daddy was gone. His friend "Blink," (what a nickname, huh?) was sitting with Kelly and me, and told us that mom had gone into labor in the middle of the night and he had come to tell Daddy and stay with us.

I remember thinking that he was joking with us. Kasey, who I was convinced was my much dreamed about little BROTHER, was not due for 6 more weeks -- this was 1980. Premature birth is serious now, but really serious then. I also remember thinking how cool it would be that her (his) birthday was June 12, because mine is October 12 and Kelly's is November 12.

That day came and went.

FINALLY, on Friday, June 13th at 3:11 PM, Kasey was born -- butt first and breach. She weighed 5 pounds 10 ounces and the doctors always told us she would always be little because of being a preemie. (She's like 5'8"ish now, and could probably wrestle about any man to the ground -- the docs were WRONG!)


Since I am 10 years older than her, we didn't have that typical fighting sister thing going on all the time. We were more like friends. I just remember her being a source of constant amusement as she grew up. She still is, for that matter.


In a display of His sense of humour, God gave me a daughter that is a smaller version of my little sister.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KASEY!!!!

4 comments:

Tony said...

How'd she get a normal name like Kasey? Just a question...

Karma Shuford said...

Smart alek.

I am actually the only one without a "normal" name -- my brother is Kevin and my other sister is Kelly.

And, my parents always said the first three K's were not deliberate, but we had to work for a fourth. She would have been Kalin if she had been a boy.

--karmat mumbles something about normal name my big toe----

fowler said...

how cool-- I was born June 13, 1986-- also on a Friday.

Lucky day :)

Did you put your sis through all the jokes as she grew up--- about being unlucky? I have three older brothers, and they sure did!

Karma Shuford said...

Happy Birthday, Fowler! That was just one of the many things we aggravate Kasey about .:)