Friday, August 15, 2008

Isaiah 64

1 Oh, that You would rend the heavens!
That You would come down!
That the mountains might shake at Your presence—

2 As fire burns brushwood,
As fire causes water to boil—
To make Your name known to Your adversaries,
That the nations may tremble at Your presence!

3 When You did awesome things for which we did not look,
You came down,
The mountains shook at Your presence.


I've been reading in Isaiah for the past few days. I confess, more times than not I am totally clueless about what I'm reading. (Like 98% of the time) :(

When I read this, though, I actually had a moment where I "understood." Maybe not exactly what the writer was intending, but this passage resonated with me.

There have been numerous times when I've been reading "discussions" on the Internet between Christians and non-Christians (usually atheists) and have come away thinking, "Yea, God, just SHOW 'EM."

When I read this, my first thought was, "How cool would it be if God did this today, and let himself be seen, so that all the atheists could SEE that God is real."

Immediately, the question "WHY?" formed in my head.

Why do I want them to see the power and glory of God?

Is it so that they will come into a relationship with Him and accept Christ as their Savior?

Or is it so that I can say, "I told you so." and be on obvious 'right side' thus my life will be easier?

My answer shamed me, for it wasn't the first one.

I think I now understand what Jonah was thinking/feeling when he got mad that Ninevah repented.

Ouch.

2 comments:

M. Steve Heartsill said...

Karma...an honest post...an honest expression of your questions, doubts, fears...

Shows me how much God is working on, with, and through you!

He's got a mighty plan for your and the Mr....

I'm praying for you as you uncover what that plan might be!

Bill (cycleguy) said...

You hit a homerun lady! Sure makes you look back at the motive issue. I also wonder if it would be the same as when Jesus told the parable of the rich man and Lazarus. When the rich man told Abraham to send someone to his family so they wouldn't end up where he was, Abraham said, "They have the prophets." Would the response to God revealing Himself fall on deaf ears and cold hearts? On second thought: how many Christ-followers would recognize what He is doing?