Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Should Christians Participate in Sports?

As Travis started football this year (pictures below), we began to spend more and more time at the field, and for the first time, my son was in a situation in which I had absolutely no control. I could not "fix" or "coach" my son in any way. When he got his clock cleaned by another boy yesterday, all I could do was grimace. No hugs or sympathy now.

As a mommy, that is HARD!

But, should a Christian (or in Travis's case because technically he is not a Christian, yet, but is being raised in a Christian home) participate in sports?

After all, it is time consuming, another adult actually has direct influence over my boy, he is encouraged to "hit hard," and be competitive. Does that fit with being a a witness and lifting up and encouraging those around us?

This article, The Lost Joy of Sports addresses this issue to some degree.

In reading others opinions, I was surprised, frankly, how many people felt that Christians, and women (especially) should not participate in sports.

I grew up in an athletic home. We weren't all-stars, but we enjoyed sports. My brother was a football player through most of high school, and my sister was a tremendous basketball and softball player. I played softball and basketball through Jr. High (well, more correctly, I sat on the bench). I wasn't all that good, but I loved it. I still do.

As young as 1st or 2nd grade, I preferred playing kickball and football with the boys instead of jumprope or whatever it was that the girls did. I was just always a tomboy. I remember playing tackle football until Jr. High (then, the boys got bigger than me -- ouch).

Even after I stopped playing, I enjoyed watching. I've been to more football games than I can even count. According to this article,, I'm only a small step away from being a lesbian, it would seem (though he never addresses THAT issue, to my surprise). If my mother had forced me to learn to sew and cook, instead of playing softball and football, I think I would have had a very droll and tense existence (as would she). It would have been like teaching a pig to sing -- wasting time and making the pig miserable.

So, I know I am not a "girly-girl." I have never been that way, and even after 5 years of being a Mary Kay consultant, I still am not.

Give me shorts or sweats, t-shirts and tennis shoes any day over skirts, hose (aaarrrgghhhhhhhhh -- sheer instruments of terror), and pumps.

I am not "feminine," I don't think.

But, was I attracted to sports because of that, or did I become that as a result of sports?

This answer has a balanced approach, I think.

ANYTHING, be it sports, clubs, other activities, even church and Bible studies, can become idols if temperance isn't exercised.

As a mother of both a son and a daughter, my goal is to help them become healthily competitive, so that they always do their best, but to also respect their opponent and to be gracious whether they win or lose, and exercise a Christian witness by always being fair and honest.

In a few years, if Kristi wants to play sports, I will encourage her to do that. If she wants to be a "girly-girl" that is fine with me, too.

But, until those decisions are needed, we are going to play and enjoy football season.

;)

5 comments:

M. Steve Heartsill said...

I don't see you doing anything wrong! You are active in your son's life...you are encouraging him...helping him...and I know loving him, even when he gets his clock cleaned.

To me (I started playing sports when I was 6 years old) sports helps to build strength, coordination, speed, agility, etc. Sports, at least team sports, help build teamwork and working together.

Yes, anything can become an idol. Seems to me that could even include church!

Karma Shuford said...

I, too, find a lot of benefits in allowing kids to participate in sports. (The biggest benefit thus far, for my "chubby" son is that he has started losing weight, in a healthy way).

I do recognize the danger, though, of that becoming the most important aspect of our family.

Bill (cycleguy) said...

Karma: I read that one article and about choked, or is that gagged? Either way it didn't sit well. Both my girls played sports. Both are beautiful young ladies who love Jesus. My State Farm agent played college b-ball at IU and her husband "done good" in getting her. She is beautiful. This kind of...junk :)...really fries me. If he wants to use the argument of girls playing sports becoming more masculine then turn it on the church. After all, we have, shall we say..less than feminine woman leading churches. (I will reserve my thoughts about that) I say...go for it! Teach both kids the value of sports. Teach them the place of sports in a life. And teach them to honor Jesus by playing hard and clean in all they do. Even if it means Travis cleans someone's clock the next time! :)

Karma Shuford said...

me too, bill. The way I see it (in reference to the article), if your masculinity is assaulted because I can outshoot you in basketball or throw a football better than you, you have bigger issues than me playing sports. :)

Golf, anyone?

Bill (cycleguy) said...

Well, since I am older than you and just recently had rotator cuff surgery I suspect you will outplay me in just about anything. Throwing, punching, and definitely golf! I played at it and have to admit that was the one sport I got irritated playing (translate that angry) because I had no one to blame but myself. 'course having a baseball swing from playing so many years didn't help any either. So I give you permission that if we ever get into a throwing contest or whatever, to beat the socks off me. Now cycling I may have a little problem with! :)