Sunday, August 31, 2008

Humbled by $2

I am the treasurer of our church. It is not a position that I asked for, or particularly even wanted, but I was "elected" almost 18 months ago.

I think the part of the job that I like the least is that I know who gives what, and how much. Especially when they write a check. It is none of my business, but I have to keep up with it for tax purposes, etc.

Tonight though, I was truly humbled by something that my position allowed me to see.

There is a little lady in our community who comes to our church sometimes (fairly regularly), but also apparently has a "home church" that is more difficult to get to, as she depends on others for transportation. She has recently had some serious health problems that resulted in a fairly intensive medical situation (re = costly).

She came to me and handed me some folded up bills and said, "I wanted to give this but I couldn't be here this morning." (We only collect offering at the morning service).

I got home and went to put it with the "money bag" so I could make a deposit this week.

$2.00

Two, one dollar bills.

How many of us would say, "Ah, I'll just put it in the offering next week. It's not that much." and then, how many of us would forget to put it in?

How many of us would even bother with $2?

For how many of us is $2 even significant?

2 comments:

M. Steve Heartsill said...

Karma...I have no doubt that the heart of God is touched far more by the $2 gifts of someone who doesn't know where their next $2 might come from than He does of the person who gives $2,000 and the gift means little or nothing...I appreciate this woman's faithful, sacrifical giving...and I appreciate how God used it to touch your heart and mine!

Bill (cycleguy) said...

What an awesome commentary on that little old lady's heart. Sort of reminds me of a story told by someone named Jesus and a widow's mite. :)