Friday, July 11, 2008

Living

About 10 years ago, I decided I wanted to participate in a triathlon. At the time, the sport was virtually non-existent around here, so I had to go to the Bladen Lakes region (the "other side" of Charlotte, NC, basically) to do it. I worked for months leading up to it, and I only had to swim 3/4 mile, bike 14 miles, and run 3 miles.

Being out of shape, and a non-athlete, it was tough, not just physically, but also emotionally.

It was quite possibly the most painful thing I've done (except childbirth), but it was also one of the highest highs I've ever had when I crossed the finish line (finally). My "performance" didn't break any records, and could even be considered poor or embarrassing, but still. I set the goal, and I did it. I didn't do it WELL, but I did it.

So, combine that with the fact that I was a daddy's girl, heard "I Can only Imagine" sung at my dad's funeral, and I have a place in my heart with children and people with special needs, and you can see why this video tears me up.

It is not new, by any stretch, so you may have seen it, but I still thought it was worth a look.

You can read their story HERE

2 comments:

M. Steve Heartsill said...

What a great video clip! Thanks for sharing it with all of us!

For some time, I've been training to run a mini-marathon...I'm not running 4 1/2 miles, but haven't gotten up the courage to enter a race. I think I now have that courage!

Karma Shuford said...

If I can do the triathlon, you can do the mini-marathon! It is hard work, BUT when you finish, it is quite the rush!