Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The Things I Do

Each week at dpchallenge.com, we are given a "topic" that we must shoot on. This week, for one set of challenges, I could choose hot or cold.

I typically do not spend a lot of times setting up my shots for challenges. Perhaps it is laziness, perhaps is a desire for simplicity, or perhaps I am just a lazy simple-minded person. Maybe, though, it is because I can't stand spending all that time for a mediocre score. :)

This week, though, I could only come up with one idea. I would have abandoned it altogether, but I am also involved in a couple of "side tournaments" where we do "team play," and I didn't want to let the team down. (I'm so good.)

So, I bought the necessary materials at Wal-Mart (one tube of $0.97 lip gloss) and did the shot tonight.

The make-up -- a very thick layer of concealer, covered by a layer of foundation, and then another layer of concealer. (For those that don't know -- concealer is kinda like bondo, it covers and smooths and generally makes the skin look better. foundation is like primer). And, it wasn't just any concealer, but Mary Kay concealer which is known in the industry as "industrial strength." This stuff will cover anything!

Then, for my lips, I had a bottle of light blue lip gloss. It wasn't blue enough, so I added food coloring. :) Took the shot, did a bit of stuff in post-processing, and here it is --




And yea. Food coloring stains. Soooooo, now I have blue lips (and teeth, and tongue and fingers). I'm just suffering for my art.

8 comments:

M. Steve Heartsill said...

So...is this your take on starting a "Blue Woman Group"?

Bernard Shuford said...

Steve - That's too funny, especially since I just happen to think BMG is awesome...

Tony said...

In football it is an apt expression to "sacrifice the body" but this takes it to a whole new level.

Karma Shuford said...

hehe. yea, I was "introduced" to the bmg a couple of weeks ago. maybe they are my sub-conscious "inspiration."

Karma Shuford said...

Yea, well after reading nard's blog post today about our stupid bathroom scales, I ready to sacrifice my body. Or at least large parts of it. >:(

M. Steve Heartsill said...

I want to see BMG in the worse kind of way, but don't want to shell out the $75-100 per ticket to do so!

Karma, if you start a BWG, let me know...I should get free tickets...after all, I came up with the name!

And Karma, in knowing what you blogged on my site...maybe the ice cream is the part to sacrifice!

Okay, enough already, I've gone to meddling!

Karma Shuford said...

BWG -- hmmmm. That would be a neat idea. I have a musical background, or maybe I could do somekind of photography thang.

As far as the ice cream -- ya think?

M. Steve Heartsill said...

Photos and music and maybe throw some good drama in there...I sense that you can be the Beth Moore of BWG...