Saturday, July 12, 2008

The Name Game

I have been involved with homeschoolers for almost 8 years.

I've taught homeschoolers with "supplemental instruction." I've counseled homeschooling parents on curriculum, learning styles, strategies and techniques, and learning differences.

I've tested several hundred homeschoolers and interpreted the results, and made recommendations to the parents.

I know a lot about homeschooling. Undoubtedly, there is a lot of me to learn, but I am no "newbie" to the game.

We homeschooled Travis for Kindergarten last year, and now it is time for first grade.

It is a big deal, because now we "register" with the state and become official.

To do that we have to have a name. My husband doesn't want "Shuford School (or Academy)," though there is nothing wrong with that.

We have been delaying this "decision" for several months, now. It is not a decision to be made lightly, though because you could change it every year, henceforth, the state of NC will only recognize us as "WhateverwedecidetonameourselvesNow."

This morning we called an official Shuford meeting. (Actually, we didn't, because we don't do those, we just happened to all be in the same room at the same time and I brought it up.)

I asked, "What should our homeschool be named."

Answers given were as follows --

The Sewer (I promise, the first answer given. No coaching. No explanation.)
Ninja Turtle School
Pooper School (from the same origin as the first option -- she's a little obsessed right now).
Ninja School
Blue Angels Training Center
Shuford AFB
Boomer School
Blackberry Estates
Mayberry Academy
Army School
Rangers Training Battalion
Green Beret
Shuford Education and/Airborne/Aircraft Learning Services (SEALS)
Eagle View Education Services
Robbie-cation (I have no idea.)

So, at some point between now and when I actually mail the intent to homeschool to the state, I will come up with a name. Thus it will be written. Thus it will be so.

7 comments:

Bernard Shuford said...

I asked, "What should our homeschooled be named."

Hmmm.

Karma Shuford said...

You asked or I asked? or am I completely missing something?

Tony said...

Ours is Ebenezer Academy. Like it, don'tcha?

I like Ninja Turtle School...heroes on the half shell and they're green...

Karma Shuford said...

Bernard, you can't prove it. :P

M. Steve Heartsill said...

I suppose Karma Academy is out, huh?

I'd go with Ninja Turtle School too!

My next favorite, would be Pooper Academy...

Tony said...

Bernard Academy. Bernard Academy.

Bernard Shuford said...

Uh, dream on, SuperTone. :)

Kids And PopTarts.