Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Football Camp

My little boy started football camp this week.

Watching him run, learn how to do the "warm up drills," and tackling someone other than my husband was a sight to behold.

I offered him $5 if he could hit the pad the coach was holding and knock him over. He didn't do it, but it wasn't from lack of effort. :)

That is probably the hardest, physically, he has ever worked in his 6 years of existence.

His reaction? He almost cried Tuesday night when he found out he didn't have practice on Wednesday, and it would be Thursday night before he could go back.

I may take the camera to his next practice, though video would probably be more entertaining.

So, while I worried about his speed or coordination (or lack thereof), I quickly came to realize that it is a 6 yo boy thing, and most 6 yo are not particularly coordinated (though some are very quick).

8 comments:

Tony said...

YOU TELL THAT BOY THERE'S NO CRYING IN FOOTBALL!

:-)

(extra points for the *edited* movie line reference)

M. Steve Heartsill said...

So...how many times were you tempted to rush off the sideline and tackle someone hurting your little man?

Be honest!

Tony said...

You obviously don't know the *edited* movie line reference.

Karma Shuford said...

There's a line in "a league of their own" about crying in baseball. is that what you are talking about?

Karma Shuford said...

steve, none so far -- i'm too busy laughing. i HAVE promised to keep my mouth shut, though. :)

M. Steve Heartsill said...

Now Karma...don't make promises you can't keep!

Oh bless your heart...(from your latest blog post)...

Karma Shuford said...

You calling me names/????

The advantage I have over the other moms and dads, is that I get to be on the sidelines with the teams. I take pictures while they are playing, so I'm down there with the boys, anyway.

Not that Travis will talk to me. During practice, I'm only good for keeping his gatorade safe. He comes up, takes a few sips, nods at me, turns around and runs back to his coaches. :/

M. Steve Heartsill said...

The denial of parents only gets worse!

Before long, he won't even nod!