Tuesday, July 22, 2008

VBS Night One

Monday was the first night of Vacation Bible School, also known as the Week of Terror and Torture for the Volunteers (at least in my mind).

I am teaching 2, 3, and 4 year olds.

At one point we were reviewing our Bible verse, which I have, ummmm, simplified, to "Love the Lord with all your heart, soul, strength and mind, and love your neighbor as yourself."

I also have little rudimentary signs to go with the key words.

I point to my heart for heart.

My shoulders for soul (don't ask, it just "fits.")

Make muscles for strength,

and I point to my head for mind.

Got it? Good.

So, last night went kinda like this --

Karma: Andrew, Love the Lord with all your (points to heart)
Andrew: HEART!!!!
Karma: GOOD! Mary Jane, with all your (points to shoulders)
MJ: Soul.
Karma: Very nice. Kristi (who shares my last name, yes, THAT Kristi), with all your (points to head)
Kristi: (Pauses with a puzzled look on her face, then offers, quietly) eyebrows?

So, do you love Him with YOUR eyebrows?

3 comments:

M. Steve Heartsill said...

Be careful how you "set the children up" to answer...you just never know what they'll reply!!!

Be there and done that way too many times!

Karma Shuford said...

Yea, you'd think after teaching for 14 years, I would have figured that out. :)

And, that is why I NEVER have children answer unrehearsed in front of the church!

M. Steve Heartsill said...

Yes, children's stories used to be so much fun! Just can't turn your eyes away from those little buggers for too long...or they will take over the story!