Friday, July 11, 2008

The Mommy Moment

In my short time of being a mother (6.5 years, exactly, today), I have narrowed down the two main "mommy moments."

The first is that moment when they lay the little baby in your arms for the very first time. There is NOTHING on Earth that can describe that. ("They" also say that at that moment all the pain and suffering of labor and delivery will be forgotten. THAT is a bold-faced lie. It makes it worth it, yes, but I still remember delivering Travis all too well.)

The second is when you think back to life BC (before children) and realize you can't "remember."

I had that experience today.

Not too long ago, my mom asked me if I could imagine what I would do without kids. I think I disappointed her when I could, rather quickly even.

Today, though, we were outside fairly early. Both of my kids were up and ready to go at 7:30 am. By 10, we were outside playing. They swing, play in the dirt, fight with each other, and I sit in a lawn chair and read. Pretty cool arrangement (except for the sunburn I got today).

While I was watching them, I had the thought, "What did I do during the summers before Travis was born?" I was teaching full time, so I had summers "off." I honestly cannot remember what my day to day schedule was like.

I remember going to a couple of workshops, during a couple of summers.

I remember being trained as a lifeguard one summer.

I remember a couple of vacations.

Bernard reminded me that I mowed the yard once and picked blackberries a couple of times.

What did I do with all of that time when I didn't have to feed, entertain, and supervise my little boy?

Then, I tried to remember what we (Trav and I) did before Kristi was born.

I remember we had a little inflatable wading pool on the back porch. He loved that. We played, we read. We drove around alot.

Now, our days are full, it seems, and I wonder if in a few years, if we were ever to have #3, if I would look back with this same child-induced amnesia?

All that said, it was awesome, for some odd, unexplainable reason, to not be able to "remember" life without my babies. :)





3 comments:

M. Steve Heartsill said...

I hope you never ever remember again the BC days, and I pray that you will never forget the joyful days God has given you presently. These days pass all too quickly, so bask in the joy and love and fun.

Tony said...

Who is this cute kid? Squoodle!

Karma Shuford said...

:) Still hanging on tight to the skittles. . . .