Saturday, July 19, 2008

Another Blast from the Past

It is September, 1983.

I am in my last month of "childhood," and will become a teenager in one month.

I am in 7th grade at Waynesville Junior High School.

And my world was rocked. Oh yea. Someone finally recognized ME.

Well, not really. But, you see, for almost 13 years, I had lived with the name "Karma." It is rare today, but essentially unheard of then, especially in the mountains of NC. (I remember one trip to Myrtle Beach. At the Gay Dolphin, they had this huge wall of those little bicycle tags and a sign that read, "Free Sand dollar if your name isn't here. Guess who got a free sand dollar?) My name was on NOTHING, unless it was customized. I liked the uniqueness of it, but still, when you are 8, things like that are, well, just big.

Then, along came Boy George and the Culture Club and I was on the charts!!!

(You can think Sonic for this reminder. We were doing our nightly Shuford Ice Cream thing -- seriously, all four of us are like addicted to ice cream right now -- and they played this.)



I have so got to get a hat like that, and if I ever get to go to GV and hear Tony preach, I am sooooooooooo wearing it. Oh yea.

5 comments:

dterryphotography said...

So, from now on, I'll think of Karma Chameleon and get this tune stuck in my head every time I see your name! :-)

I loved that song! (though I really couldn't stand Boy George)

M. Steve Heartsill said...

Gee thanks Karma Chameleon...

Now, I'll have nightmares all night of Boy George!

Tony said...

Actually, when we first met you at the library I went home humming Karma Chameleon. HOWEVER, I was not about to tell you that.

Looks like you woulda been down widit. And if you and the fab four do come to GV sometime, I WILL expect to see you in the hat. And just as much make-up as Mr. O'Dowd. ;-)

Karma Shuford said...

I only wish I could get my make up to look that good. . . . .:)

May you all have sweet dreams of BG tonight. . . who my 3 yo insists is really a girl.

And, she really liked the hat as well.

M. Steve Heartsill said...

From your picture Mrs. Karma, your makeup looks far better than the Boy!

Plus, you seem to have real eyebrows and not pencil lines. Far more becoming on a woman or even a pretend woman!